I know, it’s kinda cheezy right? Well, first off because it’s pizza…which is always cheesy. But also because there are heart-shaped beets all over it. How great is that?
I couldn’t help myself. I wanted to do a Valentine’s Day recipe that was festive but not pumped full of dyes or other artificial crap. And the fact that I love beets doesn’t hurt.
Plus, think of all the different names this pizza could have. The puns are endless! Beet Still My Heart Pizza, Can You Feel My Heart Beets Pizza and Pizza Heart-On to name a few. What would you call it?
1. Clean the beets by fully submerging them in water and adding 3 tablespoons of vinegar. Let soak for about 15 minutes until most of the dirt is removed. Scrub clean to remove any remaining dirt.
2. Trim off the beet greens, reserving them for sautéing or to add to the pesto for this pizza. Wrap each beet in tinfoil and place them in a baking dish.
3. Place the baking dish in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees F, baking for about 40 minutes or more, depending on the size of the beets you have. You’ll just have to prick them with a fork to see if they are tender.
4. When done, remove the beets and let them cool so that you can handle them. Remove the tinfoil and slice the beets so that they are about 1/4″ thick or less.
5. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the hearts (tee hee) and place the heart-shaped beets in a bowl with some olive oil. Do not discard the remaining beet, instead use it in this Roasted Red Beet Hummus Recipe.
5. Cover the pizza with thin sides of mozzarella cheese and place the goat cheese in between those slices.
6. Bake the pizza for about 5 minutes on the highest temperature your oven will go, or until the cheese is just melted but the dough is not yet done. Remove the pizza and add the hearts, placing it in the oven for another 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven, slice and enjoy!
Hi, I’m Jerry James Stone and welcome to my food blog.
My recipes are vegetarian, just like me. Some are even vegan. I like to keep things pretty simple, using just a few ingredients. So, you'll be cooking in no time.
If you're wondering if I am really stoned... well, I'll never tell.
Want to know what I'm cooking up next? Follow me on Facebook for Behind-the-Scenes access: