There’s nothing quite like a messy burger, is there? I love them. And what I enjoy most about veggie burgers is the endless possibility of combinations. They are such a great way to increase your vegetable intake, even with veggies you might not like. And this burger is a favorite, because I do love butternut squash. This veggie burger is slightly sweet, earthy and pretty spicy. Oh, and vegan.
1. Toss 4 cups of butternut squash with just enough olive oil to cover and place it in a baking dish. In a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees F, roast the butternut squash for about 45 minutes or until it is super tender.
2. Wash and clean the butternut squash seeds and then fry them in a small frying pan over a medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When they just begin to brown, transfer them to a paper towel lined colander and finish them with sea salt.
3. Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Add 1/4 cup of quinoa, reducing it to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
4. Add the roasted butternut squash to a large mixing bowl and mash. Add in 1 can of black beans and mash them too. Fold in the cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup of cilantro, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 2 tablespoons of ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of coriander, butternut squash seeds, 1/4 cup of pistachios, and salt.
5. Lightly sweat 1/4 cup of red onion, 3 cloves of garlic and 1 serrano chile in a small sauce pan with one tablespoon of olive oil over a medium heat. Fold that into the mixture.
6. Fold in 1 cup of bread crumbs.
7. Using a biscuit cutter, make your veggie patties. You don’t have to do this but I am a bit anal retentive.
8. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a cast iron skillet and warm it over a medium-high heat. Fry the burgers til browned on each side, adding more oil as needed.
Hi, I’m Jerry James Stone and welcome to my food blog.
My recipes are vegetarian, just like me. Some are even vegan. I like to keep things pretty simple, using just a few ingredients. So, you'll be cooking in no time.
If you're wondering if I am really stoned... well, I'll never tell.
Want to know what I'm cooking up next? Follow me on Facebook for Behind-the-Scenes access: