I suck at breakfast. No, really. Even though I work at home, I often won’t have breakfast till sometime after lunchtime. It’s embarrassing, and the reason I love overnight oats, especially this Overnight Quinoa & Blueberry Oatmeal. Then I have no excuse… first thing in the morning, breakfast is waiting for me. It’d only be better if I could get it served in bed!
1. You’re gonna want a mason jar (or bowl) that will hold at least 2 cups of stuff. Fill it up with 1/2 cup of rolled oats.
2. Chia seeds are all the rage and, well, they should be. They are great for adding structure to almost any recipe and, well, they keep things moving… if you know what I mean. Pooping, I am talking about pooping here folks. Anyway, add about 1 tablespoon of them to your mix.
3. I love quinoa for breakfast. I also like rice for breakfast. Okay, I pretty much love everything from burgers to pizza for breakfast. But I’m only putting 1/3 cup cooked quinoa in these overnight oats.
4. While you can just add in the next few ingredients, I have better results when I mix them together first. I shouldn’t say better. I mean more consistent. Mix together 1 cup of almond milk, 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Then add it to the oats.
Honestly, you can really make these without a recipe. The key is this, at least have a 1:1 ratio for your oats and liquid. And just to make it all work out well, I always make sure the mixture is mostly covered, like below. So even though I used cooked quinoa, I still covered it.
5. Next you want to cover it and place it in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
7. In the morning, give it a good mix and then stir in the 1/4 cup of blueberries. I topped mine off with some raspberries for color. How tasty does this look?
Hi, I’m Jerry James Stone and welcome to my food blog.
My recipes are vegetarian, just like me. Some are even vegan. I like to keep things pretty simple, using just a few ingredients. So, you'll be cooking in no time.
If you're wondering if I am really stoned... well, I'll never tell.
Want to know what I'm cooking up next? Follow me on Facebook for Behind-the-Scenes access: