There’s isn’t much I do not like with an avocado but wow, egg might be one of my favorites. That is no surprise, you’ve all seen me fry an egg inside an avocado a la “egg in the hole.” Well here is one more way to love avocados and eggs, guacamole deviled eggs.
1. Carefully place the eggs in a sauce pan and fill the pan with enough water to cover the eggs by 1-inch.
2. Bring the water to a boil over a medium-high heat. Once it is boiling, turn of the heat and remove the eggs from the stove. Cover them and let them sit for about 20 minutes.
3. To stop the eggs from over cooking and turning the yolk gray (like I did because I got distracted by Hulu), empty the hot water and replace it with cold water.
4. Once the eggs are cool enough to touch, crack each egg on each end by firmly tapping it on a hard surface. Placing the side of the egg on the counter, roll it with the palm of your hand while slightly applying pressure. The shell should crackle all over but be careful to not squish the egg. Place the egg in a bowl of warm water and the shell should slide right off.
5. Half the eggs, placing the cooked yolks into a mixing bowl. Add one tablespoon chopped cilantro, one teaspoon of minced serrano chile, one teaspoon of ground mustard seed, one tablespoon of lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil. Mix it well.
6. Half the avocado, pit it and mash it in a separate mixing bowl.
7. Fold together the egg mixture and the mashed avocado. I like the yellow and green contrast so I suggest not overdoing it here.
8. Scoop heaping spoonfuls of the mixture into the halved eggs. You can use a pastry bag if you want it to be all pretty and stuff, but ain’t nobody got time for that! I like the messier look and plus I want to get to eating these eggs! Top with some chile powder and cilantro.
Hi, I’m Jerry James Stone and welcome to my food blog.
My recipes are vegetarian, just like me. Some are even vegan. I like to keep things pretty simple, using just a few ingredients. So, you'll be cooking in no time.
If you're wondering if I am really stoned... well, I'll never tell.
Want to know what I'm cooking up next? Follow me on Facebook for Behind-the-Scenes access: